You are ultimately the decision maker of your life and you have the ability to positively influence others regardless of your job, income, and location. With that, there are people and habit triggers that can help you perform better. The environment you put yourself in can have an immediate impact on your thoughts, actions, and feelings.
- Imagine coming home from a long day of work and cookies are on your kitchen counter. More often than not, you are going to pick one up and eat it.
- Imagine a car that doesn't have music or air conditioning. You attitude would probably be a bit different if you did have it.
- Imagine working in a building with no windows and dark lighting. You attitude would be a little bit different if your office had a lot of windows and bright lighting.
- Imagine coming home with the TV already on. You most likely will see whats on that TV, even if you didn't have the intention to do so.
- Imagine if you put dental floss and mouth wash in front of your toothbrush on your bathroom counter. You most likely will start to flossing your teeth and use mouthwash.
We think we can control all of our choices, but the reality is that our decisions are based off of the environment we put ourselves in. To enhance your environment and mold it to who you want to become, we need to focus on two things - People and Habits.
The people you surround yourself with will shape your environment. Regardless of your situation and location, the people you surround your self with will directly influence your potential enjoyment.
Some people are just better to hang out with than others. Do you know anyone who walks into the door at work or a party and immediately brightens the room and raises the mood of others?
Better yet, do you know anybody who walks into work or a party and immediately brings down the current mood?
We can all identify people in our lives who do either one. The idea is surround yourself with the ones who consistently put a smile on your face. But the most important thing is to BE THE ONE with the smile on your face, brightening the room.
We all do great and have great attitudes when all of our habits are aligned. When we brush our teeth, although we may not know it, but we automatically feel better. Imagine a regular work day where you got up and forgot to brush your teeth and didn't have any gum to mask your stinky breath. Your mood would be off because your focus would be on your bad breath. This is a simple habit we do everyday that gets us going and prepared for the day. Now, what are some of our other habits that help us succeed through the day?
- Drinking a glass of water first thing in the morning?
- Having a cup of coffee?
- Getting a good breakfast in?
- Reading throughout the day?
- Watching some news to see what's going on?
- Talking with loved ones?
Whatever it is that makes you happy and more effective, turn it into a habit. Use different things to trigger your habits daily until it becomes as easy as brushing your teeth.
The idea is to create an environment that matches who you are and who you want to become.
- If you want To be healthy - leave fruit on the counter
- If you want to read - store books everywhere
- If you want to workout - get your workout clothes ready the night before
- If you want make dinner every night - have a plan at the grocery store
- If you want get more things done at work - create a to do list.